PROTOCOL & COMPLIANCE
The Family Workshop has established a variety of internal systems, policies, procedures, controls and safe guards to ensure a service delivery system that supports the activity of the agency. Further, we are required to be in compliance with a variety of external controls (audits) from a number of payors and licensing authorities. All of these "rules" are really the details of business and, although at times cumbersome, are designed to protect clients and our legal and ethical position.so, we agree. There are probably 1,000 things that we do regarding protocol and compliance, but the following list covers the highlights.
1. Privacy and confidentiality - All information about clients is held in the strictest confidence. Files are locked, there is no internet information on clients and, basically, we need a release from the client to share any information. We fall under the same protection as do attorneys, doctors and journalists.
2. Ethics - All Counselors, through their licensure standards and practices, are required to adhere to a comprehensive list of ethical standards. These include boundary, disclosure and conflict of interest issues, as well as legal, financial and personal situations. Further, the agency (Family Workshop) also monitors and evaluates these situations through a case review system.
3. Clinical Oversight - We supervise and monitor all cases through supervision with Counselors, as well as a compliance checklist review of client files. We further evaluate Counselors annually utilizing a self, supervisor and client evaluation system. Internal and external trainings are on-going.
4. Claims and Billing - We have established a double and triple check monitoring system to be sure that all claims are correct, that sessions were done that we have billed for and that payouts to therapists are accurate.
5. Staff and Counselor Orientations - These are written and done by the agency director, supervising office manager and the clinical director. All Counselors are "credentialed" through an outside agency to verify licensure, education and past job performance.
6. Financial Management - We operate under the requirements of Standard Practices of Accounting that include separation of duties, bank reconciliations, balance and P&L statements.
7. Taxes and Certifications - We maintain federal tax ID numbers and registration as well as the NM State CRS systems and city business licenses in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. We are monitored and comply with city fire codes, handicap regulations and HIPPA regulations.
8. Audits - We are audited annually by Insurance Companies, Medicaid, and other payors to verify compliance with clinical, fiscal and personnel practices.
9. Policies and Procedures - All Issues of protocol and compliance are written (Agency Manual, Contracts, Personnel Policy and Files) and documented for the appropriate authorities to review.
10. Coordination - With the proper releases, the Family Workshop does a good job to collaborate, coordinate and "case manage," including coordination with all parties connected to the case.